A Houseman, often the male version of a housekeeper, may have the additional duties of chauffeur/driver, cook, and valet. The houseman is usually responsible for the heavy housework, such as cleaning the hardwood and marble floors, vacuuming, polishing, vehicle maintenance, perform household repairs, assist housekeepers, running errands, maintaining household cleaning supplies, driving, take care of trash, recycling inside and outside household, automobile care and maintenance, gardening, serving for events and parties, care of pets, making sure all HVAC & generator equipment is in working order. Caretaker duties may also apply. Additional specific duties of the houseman may include, but are not limited to:
- Clean, set up, and wax all floor surface areas.
- Clean and/or shampoo carpet and upholstery.
- Set up, operate, and breakdown all cleaning equipment.
- Clean and/or polish brass, mirrors, glass, light fixtures, and chandeliers.
- Clean all walls and ceilings and report repairs needed.
- Clean and empty linen and trash containers.
- Receive inventory and deliver all housekeeping supplies.
- Receive and distribute incoming linen/keep track of new and used linen.
- Perform and/or assist with other cleaning and delivery responsibilities as needed.
- Cook and maintain certain kitchen responsibilities.
- Perform various landscaping duties.
- Administer maintenance of pools, tennis courts, gym facilities, etc.
- Maintenance of vehicles & power equipment.