A seasoned professional who comes to your home and helps care for your newborn, usually right out of the hospital. They do not have to be a Registered Nurse, but have extensive hands on experience and knowledge of infant care.
Families who opt to hire can be first time parents, have encountered pregnancy complications, premature births or simply want a nurse to help with the transition of welcoming a new baby into their home. They can be a former nanny but is more importantly someone who has undergone special training on how to care for newborns & premature babies. Many carry certifications such as lactation consultant, sleep training, prenatal parenting, newborn specialist, CPR/First Aid, postpartum doula care and more. The primary focus is to assist the family with all newborn/infant related care, while providing support and guidance to all members of the household. Additional responsibilities would include:
- Breastfeeding/lactation support
- Prenatal/postnatal care
- Nighttime feedings
- Promoting healthy feeding habits and sleep environment
- Sibling care
- Care for singletons, twins, triplets, etc.
- Bathing the newborn/infant
- Dressing the newborn/infant
- Sterilization of bottles, pacifiers and other nursery items
- Maintaining a clean, sanitized nursery
- Umbilical cord and circumcision care
- Baby laundry
- Administering medicine, if needed
- Educates & supports parents with regard to infant care