Domestic Staffing Descriptions – Laundress ~ Call: 646-290-8891
A laundress is charged with the maintenance and cleanliness of all garments. A laundress must have an intimate understanding of fabrics, including household fabrics & couture fashion. A laundress organizes all household laundry, folds and places in family’s closets, performs seasonal organization of clothing and storing of clothing, cataloging designer and couture clothes and accessories.
Laundress duties include:
- Oversee and inventory garments for dry cleaning.
- Extensive knowledge of how to handle a variety of stains and laundering problems.
- Oversee proper cleaning and storage of seasonal garments.
- Operation of mangle iron.
- Wash clothing and linens properly.
- Emergency cleaning of household fabrics.
- Ironing and steaming of clothing.
- Maintain scheduled preparation of social function garments.
- Light tailoring as needed.
- Maintain & stock cleaning materials.
- Purchase storage materials.
- Liaison with tailors, dry cleaner, and other fabric cleaning vendors.